1988 Special Service Award
This year our Special Services Award goes to a husband and wife team, Minnie and Henry Harden. The Harden’s have been living in the Flint Community as a family since 1955. Henry is a retired General Motors employee and member of local 659, while Minnie is a former member of local 651. The Harden’s have four daughters, all of whom were educated within the Flint Educational School System.
Owners of Harden’s Grocery, located on the Northeast side of Flint since 1967, the business has served as an avenue for many outreach activities, such as neighborhood picnics during the summer. In addition, they have served as Northwestern High School Boosters, and are supportive of civic activities at the Odyssey House and Jefferson Elementary School.
A deep commitment to the neighborhood influenced their decision to build a home within their community and close to their business. As sports enthusiasts, their sponsorship includes: Little League baseball, several bowling teams, women and men’s softball teams and the Harden’s Grocery Basketball Classic for Northwestern’s girls basketball team, which enables them to attend basketball camp. They also sponsor AA Basketball and the Michigan Open.
As active members of St. James C.M.E. church, they have served on the steward and stewardess’ boards and as choir members. Mrs. Harden chairs the commission on Evangelism which serves as an outreach ministry and is a well known speaker in area churches.
Their love and concern for the youth of the community motivates them to offer words of advice and encouragement daily in their place of business and while attending social functions.